A Pink Tank

Even though the maxi skirt isn’t complete yet, I couldn’t help myself but start on another sewing project this weekend! As I’ve said before, I like to have several projects on the go at a time because then I can flit between them depending on my mood. Because the maxi skirt is ‘freestyle’ and not aligned with any pattern, it’s taking a while to come together. So, in the meantime, I thought I’d start a pattern with lots of structure in comparison!

My pink linen blend arrived so I set out to make the Tank Dress 115 in June’s Burda Style magazine. Apparently there is a version A and a version B but the only difference I can detect is a shorter hem length on one over the other… I decided to make it following the longer pattern as I can then decide whether to shorten it at a later date. Although the pattern only requires you to line the bodice, I will have to line the skirt as well as my fabric is more flimsy and transparent than the one used in the pattern. This is the first Burda Style pattern I have attempted and I must say the pattern pieces and directions are rather confusing! I have had to ‘wing it’ a little bit as a result.

img_6939
The project aim…

I realised at around 5pm on Sunday that I hadn’t done any sewing so far that weekend so I cut out the necessary pattern pieces in the freshly laundered linen blend. I even took the time to measure 1.5 inches around each piece first to allow for seams! That’s a fair bit more organised than my usual ‘Oh-that’s-probably-about-one-and-a-half-inches’ (it never is!) method!

I sewed for about 5 hours and this is what I have to show for it…


The front of the bodice was tricky and still needs some tweaking. At one point it looked a little ‘Madonna’s Cone Bra’-ish (!) so it’s improved but it still doesn’t sit as flat as it does in the pattern picture.

The skirt looks almost too wide in the photos but it’s all cut to the same pattern size (12). The skirt is meant to be in a ‘tulip’ style so it’s a little more fitted than a gathered skirt but also has a bit of shape to it.

I might have to use some strategically placed interfacing in the high waist band to support the skirt but I’ll have to see how it progresses.

Of course, in all honesty, I’ve really made two dresses here because I had to duplicate the entire thing in the lining fabric! I probably should have started with that part as then I could learn from the practice but never mind!

img_7066

For my first attempt at lining I’m not too ashamed of my efforts!

Oh, and who doesn’t love pinking shears?! They have been a God-send. I use them to temporarily prevent fraying whilst I’m constructing the garment before I then sew a more durable edge, or, in this dress’ case, to tidy up the loose fabric inside the lining so there aren’t any lumps and bumps.

img_7067
It’s almost 9pm on Tuesday evening so I’m going to work on this for an hour or so and hopefully will have another update before too long. 🙂

 

Advertisements

One thought on “A Pink Tank

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s