Lena On Me

Did you know ‘Lena’ means ‘firewood’ in Swedish? And ‘brothel-keeper’ in Latin? No? Why ever not?! 😛

However, in the sewing world, the Lena is a faux wrap dress made in jersey fabric(s), with two sleeve lengths and optional lace overlay. Developed by Simple Sew, the Lena has been on my ‘to sew’ list for a while as I buy plenty of RTW wrap dresses as I love the style of them. I obtained the pattern free with Issue 35 of Love Sewing magazine so I’ve had it for a while.

Continue reading “Lena On Me”


Extreme Chocolate Death

Extreme Chocolate Death

You may recall a while back I made the ‘Death by Chocolate Cake‘ from Mary Berry’s ‘Simple Cakes’ book (and then I made it a few more times…), and it felt aptly named. However, I would argue there is a contender for the the title as this simply named Chocolate Gateau (from the ‘Cook and Enjoy Chocolate’ book I purchased recently) attests.

Continue reading “Extreme Chocolate Death”

Can’t Tan Kaftan

Can’t Tan Kaftan

I’ve been meaning to make holiday clothes for my forthcoming trip to Sri Lanka since it was booked (much earlier this year!) and although I know exactly what I want, nothing has materialised.

Being a true English Rose, even a hint of sun can burn me so I’ve planned everything with skin sun avoidance in mind. (Before you ask, I’m going to Sri Lanka because my sister lives there – I’m not just some crazy sun-phobic looking to test her durability!) I’ve planned maxi dresses and thin tops, big hats (shop bought) and soft cottony shorts. And, for covering up after swimming, kaftans. I’m not normally a kaftan kinda lady but I am nearly 30 so sense is overtaking style. 😉

Continue reading “Can’t Tan Kaftan”